Occupational therapists assist when a child has sensory or fine motor challenges:
- Sensory challenges occur in the processing of sensory stimuli through vision, hearing, touch, smell, taste, vestibular (for balance and head position in space), and proprioception (information from the muscles and joints).
- Fine motor challenges are concerns in the area of writing, grasping small objects, and fastening clothing. Fine motor skills involve strength, fine motor control, and dexterity.
What to expect from an assessment:
To understand what is happening, an occupational therapist at our Centre will often spend time observing the child, gathering information from the adults in the child’s life and complete standardized assessments. After all of this information is gathered, the occupational therapist will discuss assessment results and later provide a written assessment report to parents providing results, strategies and referrals that will assist the family in supporting their child.
- We listen to your concerns and experiences to understand how your child reacts in different environments
- We will suggest strategies that will help you support your child
- You will receive a comprehensive Occupational Therapy report detailing your child’s strengths and needs in this area of development
- Your child’s report will give other professionals a full understanding of your child’s needs in this developmental area
For children who:
- Are 3 months to 12 years old
- Live in Canada
- A parent or a primary caregiver must attend the appointment with your child
- Assessments are booked Monday through Friday
- Assessments are typically 2 hours in length
- Occupational therapist with expertise in child development, fine motor skill development and sensory processing
An application fee is required when registering for any program or service offered at Aspire
Once your application and payment are received you will be placed on our waitlist for services.
- This program is a full fee service
- Fee assistance is not available for this service
Apply for an Occupational Therapy Assessment:
An application fee is required when registering for any program offered at Aspire. Once your application and payment are received you will be placed on our waitlist for services.
Download your Application and return it to Aspire, with your application fee, in person or by:
4826 47th Street, Red Deer AB, T4N 1R2